Saturday, January 24, 2015

Practice to Perform


Photo credit: Ruth Buchanan

This blog will be about the general happenings in my life. Mostly it will be about my riding career and life at the barn. Sometimes it will be about jiu jitsu and life at the gym. Occasionally it may be about family and life in general.

I hope all of it will be interesting enough to read.

Current News

The big news in life is that I am showing my horse today. I'll be taking her to a local schooling show, and it will be our first show of 2015. It will also be our first show moving up to First Level.

Thankfully, I don't tend to get nervous during a competition except for while I'm driving to he venue. I think part of the reason for that is because I'm usually pretty well prepared and another big part is because my philosophy of competition.

Philosophy of Competition

Some people I've seen seem to have the mindset of "I'm going to compete so I'd better train really hard these two weeks before hand so I'm REALLY GOOD for the competition.

Now don't get me wrong. I know there is a process of training so you make sure you're in peak condition for the event. But in general, this is how I tend to approach the situation: "This is how I ride and today I just happen to have a judge watching and evaluating me."

"Practice the way you want to perform" is the way one choir director always phrased it.

I think this can apply to a lot of things in life. If you manage an office or a restaurant and your boss' boss is coming to visit, it will be a lot less stressful if your employees already do things according to policy. If you build buildings you won't have to stress about the inspector coming to the site because you know you and your team always build everything to code.

So when my horse steps into the ring today, I know we'll be ready to do our best!

But for right now I'd better go study my tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment